OK, I’ve heard this time and time again…”avocados are my favorite, and really the one thing I could not live without!” I too feel very strongly about my avocados, so I thought I would write about why avocados are worth loving and some ideas on how to incorporate them into your daily meal plan.
I grew up in Puerto Rico, so I am very familiar with avocados. My parents have an avocado tree in their backyard, so we ate them often, but I must admit that besides guac, I only remember eating them sliced on the plate with a sprinkle of salt and a drizzle of olive oil. And while they were yummy just like that, there are SO MANY ways of eating avocados (and getting your kids who don’t “like” avocados to eat them!). Now I’m lucky enough to have my own avocado tree in California, so we have a good supply in our own backyard!
Why eat avocados? Avocados are a fantastic source of vitamin K, copper, folate, vitamin B6, potassium, vitamin E and vitamin C. They’re a great source of monounsaturated fats, in the form of oleic acid, a “healthy fat” which actually helps LOWER cholesterol in your blood. Avocados are a decent source of protein, with 4 grams for an average size one, which is much higher than most other fruits, and half an avocado contains only 0.2 grams of sugar. And as a bonus, a medium avocado contains 11 grams of fiber, which is close to half of the daily recommended minimum intake! Need I say more?!
Here are a few ideas (and great recipe links) to inspire you: I like to call it “beyond guacamole…”
Avocados for Breakfast:
- Whole grain toast with avocado and tomato slices – My personal favorite! Easy, tasty
- Avocado smoothie– great one for kids and moms on the go!
- Eggs with avocado slices – or wrap them in a burrito for a great on the go breakfast
- Avocado salad- tomatoes, prosciutto, avocado and poached egg on top- a Sunday favorite!
- Eggs baked in avocado half
- “Cuban breakfast”- rice, black beans, avocado slices, salsa verde and a fried egg on top! YUM!
Avocados for Lunch:
- ANY salad stuffed in an avocado half- nature’s perfect bowl! Stuff with chicken, crab or egg salad for a delicious and satisfying lunch
- Udon noodles with Kale and Avocado Oil – don’t forget avocado oil has lots of health benefits too!
- Watermelon Salad with Avocado – perfect summer pairing!
- Lentil Soup with Avocado– the winter pair!
- Chilled Avocado Soup
Avocados for Dinner:
- Pan Seared Tuna with Avocado, Soy, Ginger and Lime
- Avocado Cream Pasta Sauce
- Grilled Shrimp, Mango and Avocado– yes, avocados can be grilled too!
- Avocado and Shrimp Sushi – make it at home or order out!
- Chocolate-Avocado Mousse – yes, even for dessert!
Did You Know?
- Avocados are also known as an “alligator pears” because of the shape, green skin, and rough texture of the Hass variety.
- There are more than 80 varieties of avocados. The most common is the year-round Hass avocado, whose original tree still stands in California.
- On Super Bowl Sunday, Americans eat about 8 million pounds of guacamole! But for Cinco de Mayo, the total is closer to 14 million!!!
Wanna know more about avocados?