My favorite thing about this time of year…Easter, Passover, Mother’s Day is BRUNCH! Bubbly drinks, fancy egg dishes, spring soups and fresh green salads; what’s not to like! Today I decided to share some of my favorite brunch recipes: a delicious leek, potato and asparagus soup, a crustless smoked turkey ham and spinach quiche, and a spinach and beet salad.
Leek, Potato and Asparagus Soup
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 medium leeks, trimmed, washed and finely chopped (1 1/2 cups)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 pound new potatoes, scrubbed and diced (about 1 2/3 cups)
- 2 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth, or vegetable broth
- 1 pound fresh asparagus, trimmed and cut into 1/2-inch pieces (1 1/2-2 cups)
- 2/3 cup snow peas, or sugar snap peas, stemmed and cut into 1/2-inch dice
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh chives, divided
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh dill
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 2 cups 1% milk
- 1/4 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 1/3 cup low-fat plain yogurt, for garnish
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium-low heat. Add leeks and cook, stirring often, until softened but not browned, about 5 minutes. Add garlic and cook, stirring, for 1 minute.
- Add potatoes and broth; bring to a simmer over medium-high heat. Cover and reduce heat to medium-low. Simmer, stirring occasionally, until the potatoes are tender, 10 to 15 minutes.
- Increase heat to medium-high and stir in asparagus and peas; simmer, covered, stirring 2 or 3 times, until just tender, 3 to 4 minutes. Remove from heat; stir in 1 tablespoon chives, parsley, dill and parsley. Use an immersion blender or transfer the soup to a blender carefully and blend until smooth.
- Return the soup to the pan. Add milk and bring to just below a simmer, stirring, over medium heat. Season with salt and pepper. Ladle into soup bowls. Garnish each serving with a dollop of yogurt, a sprinkling of the remaining chopped chives and some fresh parsley.
Crustless Smoked Turkey Ham and Spinach Quiche
LOVE this one, can be made ahead and kept in the refrigerator and baked next day!
- nonstick cooking pray
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 3/4 cup cubed smoked turkey ham (I like Jennie-O)
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/8 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 3/4 cup shredded Swiss cheese, divided
- 1 cup fresh baby spinach leaves
- 1 cup low-fat cottage cheese
- 1/2 cup evaporated fat-free milk
- 1/4 cup shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese
- 3 large eggs
- 3 large egg whites
- 1/2 cup white whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 6 cups baby spinach
- 1 1/2 cups quartered cooked beets
- 1/2 cup Maple-Mustard Vinaigrette
- 3 tablespoons chopped toasted pecans
- 2 ounces crumbled goat cheese
- 1/2 cup walnut oil, or canola oil
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1/4 cup cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons coarse-grained mustard
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper