My first Blog…NEVER in my wildest dreams did I imagine I would be writing a Blog…my name is Jacqueline Winkelmann, “Doctor Jacq,” and I am many things; pediatrician and hospital Chief of Staff Elect, sports nutrition expert, chef, party thrower, avid exerciser, friend, daughter, sister, aunt, wife of 20 years and mom to 2 amazing kids, but NEVER considered myself a future blogger. But here I am, very excited about my new adventure and the launch of Doctor Jacq: Nutrition Coach for Young Athletes, and I am “nudged” to blog by my husband, friends, marketing and website experts. But what will I write about? This blog will be about my life; a little pediatrics, a little nutrition/sports nutrition, a little food, a little party throwing, a little exercise and a little “momhood.”
So to start, I’ll share 10 Things You Didn’t Know about Doctor Jacq:
1. I was born and raised in Puerto Rico. My parents and most of my relatives still live there. And yes, I am puerto rican with pale skin, blonde hair and green eyes (it can happen!).
2. I speak Spanish, English, French and a little Portuguese. When I was 8 years old my mom enrolled me in a French school. At the time I had NO idea none of my friends were taking French – tricked!! I guess my mom was pretty smart!!!
3. I went to Washington University in St Louis for undergrad…yes, there is a “Washington University” in St Louis (not sure why though).
4. I met my husband Rob in 1990…we were at a bar in St Louis and I stepped away to use the restroom and when I got back he took my seat and said “I guess my lap will have to do.” The nerve! I was smitten at that moment and for almost every moment after that for the last 23 years.
5. Our daughter Megan went on a “daddy/daughter” date 4 years ago…they went to the public skate for figure skating at the local rink…today we get up at 4:30 am 5 days a week so she can skate before school…should have taken her to a movie Rob!
6. I love to cook, and I love to entertain, and even though I believe I’m always chill and pleasant and the perfect hostess I have been called a “party witch” by my husband and children on more than one occasion. But rarely do my friends miss a party (mostly because of the food!!), so I guess it’s all ok.
7. I have tried pretty much EVERY workout program out there; from Jane Fonda to Body by Jake (I date myself), to Abs/Buns/anything of Steel, to Jillian Michaels, P90X, Insanity, Tracy Anderson and Crossfit…I love them all and hate them all at the same time.
8. I have worked as a hospital-based pediatrician since 2001; I still do 8 hour day shifts, 16 hour night shifts and 24 hour weekend shifts. The next day when I pick up my kids at school, they look at each other and say “oh no, mom worked last night so she’s gonna be cranky!”
9. My maiden name is Wiewall (I know, sounds very puerto rican!), so mean kids always called us the “Weebles” (remember the little plastic families with round bottoms? I date myself, although I think they made a comeback).
10. I am VERY competitive when it comes to playing games…even with the kids…even when they were really little…even Candy Land and Chutes and Ladders and Go Fish, I will NOT let you win! (maybe why no one in my family will play anything with me).
So there it is, my first Blog. I will write a few times a week, so stay tuned to lear a little more about me, about pediatrics, sports nutrition, cooking, party throwing, exercising and momhood in general! Don’t forget to check out my website www.doctorjacq.com and Like my Facebook Pagewww.facebook.com/DrjacqSportsNutritionForYoungAthletes…see you soon!