Last night I spoke to one of my teams and we were discussing the best (and worst) choices at some of their favorite fast food places. Chinese food is always a favorite among teenagers, but our fast food choices were very high in calories, fat and sodium. For example, the orange chicken and white rice dish added up to 800 calories and almost 20 grams of fat.
In search of a better option, I found this delicious and MUCH better-for-you Orange Chicken, thanks to my friends at Clean Eating Magazine. I love the addition of crispy, spicy chickpeas; not only super flavorful but adds a significant amount of fiber to the dish, helping you stay full longer and stabilizing blood sugar. Give it a try tonight and let me know how it goes! The finished product not only weighs in at 371 calories and 6 grams of fat, but it only costs $2.70 per plate! Winner!!!
Orange Chicken Stir-Fry with Spicy Chickpeas & Crispy Garlic Dressing
Source: Clean Eating Magazine
- 2/3 cup brown rice
- 1 tbsp olive oil, divided
- 7 1/2 oz BPA-free canned chickpeas, drained, rinsed and dried
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- Pinch ground cayenne pepper
- 1 bunch broccoli, trimmed
- 4 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 1 tbsp rice wine or apple cider vinegar
- 16 oz boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 zucchini, thinly sliced lengthwise
- 1 tbsp reduced-sodium soy sauce or tamari
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 1 orange, peeled, segmented and cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 2 green onions, sliced
- Cook rice according to package directions.
- In a large skillet, heat 1 tsp oil on medium. Add chickpeas and cook, shaking pan occasionally, until golden, about 15 minutes. Season with salt and cayenne. Transfer to a bowl and cover to keep warm.
- Meanwhile, in a steamer basket set over a pot of gently simmering water, cook broccoli until tender-crisp, 3 to 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, prepare dressing: In a small saucepan, heat 1 tsp oil on medium. Add garlic and sauté, stirring occasionally, until fragrant, crisp and golden, 3 to 4 minutes. Transfer to a small bowl and add vinegar. Set aside.
- In a clean skillet, heat remaining 1 tsp oil on medium. Add chicken and sauté for 5 minutes. Reduce heat to medium-low and add zucchini, soy sauce and ginger. Sauté until chicken is cooked through and zucchini is tender, 5 to 7 more minutes. Stir in broccoli, orange, onions and dressing and heat through. Serve over rice and top with chickpeas.
PHOTO credit: Maya Visnyei