Looking for something quick and easy to make tonight? Love this recipe! Adapted from Cooking Light, this is a one-pot dish sure to please everyone in the family! Best part: easy cleanup! The pasta is actually cooked in the sauce, so skip the pasta “boil and drain” step! Try adding cooked chicken, ground turkey or lean ground beef for a heartier dish! And best of all…cost for 4 servings…$8.43!
This meal works well as a pre-practice or game meal; It has 55grams of carbs, 15 grams of protein(without the meat), 9 grams of fiber and 197 mg of calcium.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 6 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 (14.5-ounce) can unsalted petite diced tomatoes, undrained (or use fresh grape tomatoes)
- 1 1/2 cups unsalted chicken stock
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano or italian seasoning
- 8 ounces whole-grain spaghetti or linguine
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 10 ounce fresh spinach
- 1 ounce Parmesan cheese, grated (about 1/4 cup)
- 1 lb. cooked diced chicken, ground turkey or lean beef (optional)
- Enjoy! Great family dinner or team meal!
- Heat a Dutch oven or large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add oil; swirl to coat.
- Add onion and garlic to pan; sauté 3 minutes or until onion starts to brown.
- Add tomatoes, stock, oregano, and pasta, in that order. Bring to a boil.
- Stir to submerge noodles in liquid.
- Cover, reduce heat to medium-low, and cook 7 minutes or until pasta is almost done.
- Uncover; stir in salt. Add cooked meat if desired.
- Add spinach in batches, stirring until spinach wilts. Remove from heat; let stand 5 minutes.
- Sprinkle with cheese.