We are lucky here in California to be able to get strawberries pretty much year round, but there’s nothing like a sweet, ripe, juicy Summer strawberry! Strawberries are serious nutrition power houses- they boast plenty of fiber, more vitamin C than any other berry, folate, important in red blood cell formation and crucial in prenatal development. They are also antioxidants that help protect against heart disease. So here are a couple of my favorite strawberry recipes! Enjoy!
Strawberry, Melon & Avocado Salad
- 1/4 cup honey
- 2 tablespoons sherry vinegar, or red-wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh mint
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- Pinch of salt
- 4 cups baby spinach
- 1 small avocado, (4-5 ounces), peeled, pitted and cut into 16 slices
- 16 thin slices cantaloupe, (about 1/2 small cantaloupe), rind removed
- 1 1/2 cups hulled strawberries, sliced
- 2 teaspoons sesame seeds, toasted (see Tip)
- Whisk honey, vinegar, mint, pepper and salt in a small bowl.
- Divide spinach among 4 salad plates. Arrange alternating slices of avocado and cantaloupe in a fan on top of the spinach. Top each salad with strawberries, drizzle with dressing and sprinkle with sesame seeds.
Summer Berry Medley with Limoncello and Mint
(Source: Cooking Light Magazine)
- 1 cup fresh raspberries
- 2 cups fresh blackberries
- 2 cups hulled fresh strawberries, quartered
- 2 cups fresh blueberries
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon rind
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons limoncello (lemon-flavored liqueur)
- 1/2 cup torn mint leaves
- Combine first 8 ingredients in a bowl; let stand 20 minutes. Gently stir in mint using a rubber spatula.